The ancient city of Gaya in the Indian state of Bihar has great historical and mythological significance. It is located on the banks of the Phalgu River and is considered to be a place sanctified by the Hindu, Jain and Buddhist religions. Gaya is surrounded by small rocky hills on three sides and the river on the fourth side. The city displays a harmonious mix of natural surroundings, ancient buildings, greenery and narrow by-lanes. Gaya has been mentioned in the great Hindu epics of Ramayana and Mahabharata. Rama, Sita and Lakshmana had visited Gaya to offer "pind-daan" after their father Dasharaths death. The place appears as Gayapuri in the Mahabharata. Gaya has many household industries like incense sticks, stone crafting, power looms as well as local sweets like tilkut and lai. There are some small-scale manufacturing industries for packaging, plastic products, scrap and handlooms. Gaya is an important center for religious tourism. Hence, there are numerous affordable Hotels and other accommodations which contribute to the citys economy. Gaya boasts of a bright educational history. Pristine institutions such as the Magadh University, the Gaya College, the Gaya Engineering College support the education of the youth. A branch of the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Bodhgaya has also been recently established in Gaya.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.