The city of Etawah is located in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. Located on the banks of the Yamuna, this city functions as the administrative headquarters of the Etawah District. Etawah was an important center for the Revolt of 1857. The city witnesses the confluence of the Yamuna and the Chambal. The relics of the Great Hedge of India can be found in this city. History claims that this region existed even in the Bronze Age. The Hindu epic Mahabharata records this place as Ekchakranagari. This is where the Pandavas had learned about Draupadis swayamvara from the Brahmins. The Guptas, the Kanvas, Kanishka and the Naga kings have ruled over this area. During the Great Revolt of 1857, Etawah was occupied by the freedom fighters for six months from June to December, which disrupted the British rule for quite a long time. The economy of this area is supported by the cultivation of cotton, oilseeds, ghee and other agricultural produce that are locally consumed as well as exported. Special breeds of goats and buffaloes called Jamunapaari and Bhadawari respectively are raised in the area and exported. Etawah has a natural gas-based power generation plant. However, it doesnt have any manufacturing industry. Etawah is also known for its handloom products.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.