Durgapur, situated in the Burdwan district of the Indian state of West Bengal, is Indias second planned city. It is the third largest city in West Bengal and is also known as the "Ruhr of India." It lies beside the Damodar River and is the only city in the eastern part of India to have an operational dry dock. The city is a base of industrialization in East India owing to it coal-rich belt which supports the flourishing steel, cement, thermal power and chemicals industries. Large-scale industries like the Durgapur Steel Plant, the Durgapur Thermal Power Station, the Durgapur Cement Ltd, Graphite India Ltd, Hindustan Fertilizer Corporation, etc are based out of this city. Education is another sector that has a strong hold on this region. Institutions like National Institute of Technology, National Power Training Institute, Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute, apart from several Kendriya Vidyalayas and Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas School ensure quality education to the youth of Durgapur. Durgapur is not exactly a typical spot for tourism. However, some of the places worth visiting include Durgapur Barrage, Mohan Kumar Mangalam Park, Anand Amusement Park, Rahreswar Shibtola, Ram Mandir, Deul Park, Garh Jungle, etc.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.