Bilaspur is the second largest city in the Bilaspur District, situated in the Indian state of Chhattisgarh. It is believed that Bilaspur had been a colony of a few fishermens huts in the 17th century and has thus been named after a fisherwoman called "Bilasa." The city experiences hot dry summer and mild winters with medium rains during the monsoon. The city is located on the banks of the Arpa River. It is a rain-fed river that originates from the Maikal Range in central India. This region rich in dolomite and is surrounded by the coal mines of the Hasdeo valley as well as verdant green forests. It serves as the headquarters of South Eastern Coalfields Limited. The Arpa river passes through the center of the city and there are many river view areas built in the area for recreational purposes. The city is known for its unique aromatic rice variety called Doobraj rice and its intricate handloom weaved colorful soft Kosa silk saris. These drive the economy of the state along with the mining industry. Bilaspur connects tourists to a plethora of interesting tourist spots such as Amarkantak, Achanakmar Wildlife Sanctuary and Tiger Reserve, Malhar, Ratanpur and quite a few dams in the vicinity.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.