Bikaner is a historical city, located in the northwest part of the Indian state of Rajasthan. The city of Bikaner serves as the administrative headquarters of both the Bikaner District and the Bikaner division. The city, located beside the Thar Desert, was originally a barren wilderness called Jangladesh, which was turned into a city in 1488 by Rao Bika of the Rathore clan. From such a wild fallow land, the city has gone through rounds of transition to develop into the fourth largest city in Rajasthan. The Indira Gandhi Canal and the Ganges Canal, completed in 1928 and 1987 respectively, facilitated this development. Bikaner celebrates its foundation on two days (Chhoti Akha Teej and Badi Akha Teej) during Akshaya Tritiya, by flying kites all day and relishing special Rajasthani food. Bikaner is most famous all over the world for its savory snacks known as Bhujia. Other salty snacks, known as namkeens, such as spicy papad, samosa and kachori are a specialty of Bikaner that are sold all over the country. The city is known for its forts that exhibit splendid architecture. The Junagarh Fort has now become a museum that shows the visitors the grand lifestyle of the past Maharanas of Rajasthan. The Laxmi Niwas Palace was earlier a residential palace has now been turned into a luxury hotel. There are many other temples and forts in the area that attract tourists.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.