Bathinda is one of the oldest cities as well as a Municipal Corporation in the Indian state of Punjab. It functions as the administrative headquarters of the Bathinda District. It is situated in the Malwa Region. Bathinda is nicknamed as the City of Lakes, owing to the numerous artificial lakes in the city. The city is also known as Tabar-e-Hind or Tabarhindh which means the Gateway to India. Razia Sultana, the first Empress of India, was imprisoned in the Qila Mubarak fort in this city. Bhatinda is one of the leading cities in education. It has many prestigious academic institutions such as the Central University of Punjab and the upcoming AIIMS. Two modern thermal power plants are housed in Bhatinda - Guru Nanak Dev Thermal Plant and Guru Hargobind Thermal Plant. The city has a fertilizer plant, an oil refinery and two cement plants by Ambuja Cements & UltraTech Cement. Bathinda is also one of the largest cotton and food grain markets in northern India. Grape is widely cultivated in and around the city and is used for local consumption as well as trade. There are various places worth visiting in Bhatinda. The Bhatinda zoo, the historic Qila Mubarak fort, the gurudwara and mazaar of Haji Rattan are popular tourist centers in the city.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.