Bardhaman is a city in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is also known by its anglicized name Burdwan. It functions as the headquarters of the Purba Bardhaman district. Bardhaman used to be the district capital during the British era. The city experiences a hot and humid climate and hosts around 4 lakh residents. It is connected to the neighboring cities of Kolkata on one side and Durgapur on the other via the Durgapur Express Highway (NH2). There are quite a few places worth visiting in and around the city. The Shrine of Sarvamangala is believed to be a holy spot that is built upon Goddess Satis umbilicus. The Curzon Gate was built when Lord Curzon had visited the city for the first time. The Shiva Temple At Nawab Hat has 108 temples dedicated to the great Lord. Bengal being a major educational hub in the country has many prestigious educational institutions in each city. The University of Burdwan is one of the most prestigious universities in the state. Burdwan Medical College, Burdwan Raj College and Vivekananda Mahavidyalaya, Burdwan are of great repute. Many residents of Burdwan travel to the nearby cities for work. A good number of the population is employed in various government offices within the city. Agriculture is another major contributor to the citys economy as Bardhaman is known for its rich and fertile soil.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.