Anantapur, situated in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh, is a small city that functions as the mandal headquarters as well as the divisional headquarters of the Anantapuramu mandal and the Anantapur revenue district respectively. Its official name is Anantapuramu. The region experiences a semi-arid climate that remains hot and dry for most of the year. Around 2.5 lakh people live in the city. Anantapuramu provides railway connectivity and it is labeled as an A?category station in the Guntakal railway division. It is connected to the nearby cities through several national and state highways. Millets like Jowar, Bajra and Ragi are cultivated here for consumption as well as trade. The important educational institutions in Anantapur are Sri Krishnadevaraya University, Sri Sathya Sai University and a campus of JNTU. Telugu is the most widely spoken language. Urdu, Kannada and English are also spoken.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.