The city of Ambarnath, in the Indian state of Maharashtra, is also a part of the Mumbai Metropolitan Region. It falls within the territorial boundaries of the Thane district. The city is often spelled as Ambernath. The name Ambarnath translates to the Lord of the Sky and refers to Lord Shiva. The city is the site of an old temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, from 1060 AD. Like all suburbs of Mumbai, the railway track divides the city of Ambarnath into Ambarnath East and Ambarnath West. Ambarnath west has developed as an industrial zone and it has numerous small and large chemical factories. The government of India has set up an Ordnance Factory in the region, which is slowly developing a residential neighborhood in the area. There is a large safety matchstick manufacturing facility of WIMCO is located in this region along with more than 150 large-scale industries such as textile, aerospace, chemicals, edible goods and electrical hardware. Ambarnath East is mostly a residential area. The famous Shiva temple is located in Ambarnath East along with several residential and sporting complexes.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.