Agartala, a rapidly developing city, is the state capital of Tripura. The name Agartala is derived from two words - "Agar" refers to an oily and valuable perfume tree, and the word "tala" refers to a storehouse. It refers to the abundantly available Agarwood trees in the region. Located on the bank of the Haora River, Agartala is located 2 kilometers away from the Bangladesh Border. The city experiences a humid climate, with heavy rainfall throughout the year except during the dry winter days. The city has around half a million population and is divided into 49 wards for effective administration. Most of the residents of Agartala are employed in government-owned enterprises. The Public Sector Units that provide employment in Agartala are ONGC, GAIL, Powergrid Corp. Of India Ltd, Airports Authority of India (AAI) and BSNL among a few others. The economy of Agartala developed at a very slow pace until about the year 2000. A few MNCs have recently entered the city and the city is gradually picking up the developmental momentum. NIT, Tripura Medical College, Tripura University, MBB College, ICFAI UNIVERSITY, etc. are some of the prominent academic institutions in the city. Hinduism is the most common religion and there are plenty of temples in the city. There are many churches as well since Christianity is also a widespread faith. There are several spectacular places of tourist interest such as Ujjayanta Palace, Agartala Amusement Park Amtali, Venuban Buddha Vihar, Jagannath temple and College Tilla, apart from the numerous parks and gardens that beautify this city.
The government of India owns the Canara Bank as one of the largest and oldest public sector banks. The headquarter of the bank is in Bengaluru. It had a network of 6639 branches and more than 10600 ATMs all over India, as of 30 October 2017. The bank also has offices outside India in Hong Kong, Moscow, Shanghai, Doha, London,Bahrain, Dubai, Tanzania,South Africa, and New York. On 1 July 1906, the Canara Hindu Permanent Fund in Mangalore, India, was initiated by Ammembal Subba Rao Pai. The fund name was changed to Canara Bank Limited in 1910 when it was incorporated. In 1958, Canara Bank was permitted by the Reserve Bank of India to acquire G. Raghumathmul Bank of Hyderabad. G. Raghumathmul Bank had five branches at the time of the acquisition. The merger took effect in 1961. Canara Bank acquired Trivandrum Permanent Bank, later in 1961. Along with 13 other prominent commercial banks of India, on 19 July 1969, the Government of India nationalized Canara Bank. Canara Bank inaugurated its 1000th branch in 1976. In 1985, Canara Bank acquired Lakshmi Commercial Bank in a rescue. Due to these acquisitions, Canara Bank got some 230 branches in northern India.