Karaikudi is situated in the Sivaganga district of Tamil Nadu. It is a greater municipality and the states 20th largest urban agglomeration. It is part of the Chettinad area and has been declared a heritage town by the State Government of Tamil Nadu. Karaikudi is known for its palatial houses that are built with limestone called Karai Veedu. Karaikudi has derived its name from the thorny plant called Karai. It has been referred to in the ancient literature as Kareekudi. The name gradually got modified and modernized into Karaikudi. It was established in the 19th century. The oldest known structure in the area is the Koppudaiya Nayagi Amman Temple. The town of Karaikudi is home to the Nagarathars and the Chettiars who form the business community, the financiers and the trade facilitators. Karaikudi is a rapidly developing urban center. UNESCO has proposed to set up a Chettinad Heritage Museum in the area, recognizing the unique architectural style of the region. Karaikudi is known for its palm leaf baskets woven by the women, known as Chettinad Kottan. Chettinadu Kandangi sarees of Karaikudi are widely popular in the region. The handicraft industry in Karaikudi is indeed a thriving business. Karaikudi is also known for its delectable cuisine. There are many prominent temples in the area that attract tourists. Kundrakudi Shanmuganathan Temple, Ariyakudi Thiruvengamudayan Temple, Pillayarpatti Karpagavinayagar temple, Thirumayam Permual Temple, Kannadasan Mandapam, Kamban Manimandapam, Chettinad Raja Palace and Thousand windows house are the visitor attractions in Karaikudi
the Bank of Maharashtra is a significant public sector bank in India owned by the government of India with 81.61% of the total shares. As of 5 April 2016, The bank had 15 million customers across the country and network of 1897 branches. It has the most extensive network of offices by any public sector bank in the state of Maharashtra. It was founded by V. G. Kale and D. K. Sathe, and on 16 September 1935, registered as a banking company at Pune with an authorized capital of ? 1 million. It began its operations on 8 February 1936. Banks financial assistance to small units has found many of todays industrial houses. In 1938, the second branch of the bank was opened at Fort, Bombay(currently Mumbai). The bank expanded rapidly after nationalization in 1969. Mr. Sushil Muhnot was the former Managing Director and Chairman before Mr. Ravindra Prabhakar Marathe, who is the current MD and CEO of the Bank of Maharashtra. In 1998, the bank had achieved autonomous status after moving into A category from C due to which it has limited interference of Government authority in its decision-making process and internal affairs. In 2004, it was listed in Bombay Stock Exchange and National Stock Exchange of India.