serampore is a famous historical town in the Indian state of West Bengal. While Serampore is the British spelling, the name of this town is spelled in different ways such as Srirampur, Shreerampore, Shrirampur, etc. The town is located in the Hooghly district and it functions as the headquarter of the Srirampore subdivision. The town is covered by the Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority. Serampore is a pre-colonial town, situated on the west bank of River Hooghly. It was under the Danish rule from 1755 to 1845 and was known as Frederiknagore during the Danish dominance. This old city has stood the test of time and witnessed many social changes such as the rise and fall of feudalism, the advent of the Danes, the Bengal Renaissance during the British governance and subsequent industrial development in the post-independent era. Serampore has now become a satellite town of Kolkata and is undergoing rapid urbanization. There are many pristine educational institutions at Serampore - the Serampore College, Government College of Engineering and Textile Technology, Chatra Nandalal Institution are a few to name. The Mahesh area in Serampore is well-known for its yearly "Rath-Yatra" (Chariot ceremony in honor of God Jagannath) when thousands of devotees from all over the state flock to this town to witness the grand ceremony. The city of Serampore is very well connected to the rest of the state via railway and road.
The SVC Cooperative Bank Limited is a banking company incorporated and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of theShamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. The bank in opened first Co-operative store in 1910. In 1915, the first Co-operative housing society was built in Bombay. In 1927, the Fidelity Guarantee Fund was launched simultaneously with Distress Relief Fund in 1931 and Staff Gratuity Fund in 1954. In 1964, Safe Deposit Vaults were introduced by the bank. In Fiscal 2016, the deposits of the bank crossed 13000 crores. In 2002, the corporate office was opened by the bank at SVC Tower in Vakola. In 2003, Genius I Core banking solution was implemented in all the branches of SVC bank.