The towns of Sangli, Miraj and Kupwad in the Sangli district of the Indian state of Maharashtra were clubbed together to form a small city. With a population of about half a million, Sangli-Miraj-Kupwad is considered to be the largest municipal corporation in South Maharashtra. This mini-metropolitan city is governed by the Sangli-Miraj-Kupwad Municipal Corporation, which is made of democratically elected members, headed by a mayor. The town of Sangli is to be found on the banks of river Krishna. Miraj is a major railway junction, a major healthcare center as well as an export hub of various Indian musical instruments. Kupwad, a small town earlier, is an industrial area harboring many foundries, oil manufacturing units, spinning mills, chocolate factories, cold storage, etc. Notable foundries located in this area are Tulsi foundry and J sons foundry. The famous chocolate manufacturer, Lotte, has its factory in this city. Spinning mills like Toto Toya spin ltd, oil manufacturers like Chakan oil mills are also based out of Kupawad. The city has a mixed group of multi-cultural residents who speak in various languages including Marathi, Urdu, Telugu, Kannada and Hindi.
The SVC Cooperative Bank Limited is a banking company incorporated and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of theShamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. The bank in opened first Co-operative store in 1910. In 1915, the first Co-operative housing society was built in Bombay. In 1927, the Fidelity Guarantee Fund was launched simultaneously with Distress Relief Fund in 1931 and Staff Gratuity Fund in 1954. In 1964, Safe Deposit Vaults were introduced by the bank. In Fiscal 2016, the deposits of the bank crossed 13000 crores. In 2002, the corporate office was opened by the bank at SVC Tower in Vakola. In 2003, Genius I Core banking solution was implemented in all the branches of SVC bank.