The city of Purnia in the Indian state of Bihar also functions as the administrative headquarters of both the Purnia district and the Purnia division. It is located in the Kosi- Seemanchal area of Bihar. Purnia hosts several military bases such as Indian Air Force, Indian Army, three branches of Indias Central Armed Police Forces, the Border Security Force, the Sashastra Seema Bal and the Indo-Tibetan Border Police. The name of the city may have originated from the Sanskrit word Purna?Aranya, which means complete jungle. Purnia has a large forest cover and is located in the Mithila region of the state. The city lies on the alluvial tract of the Gangetic Plain and numerous rivers flow through the area that are mostly the tributaries of River Koshi. The city experience a favorable climate and is often referred to as "Mini Darjeeling." There are around 3 lakh residents in Purnia. Maithili, Angika, Hindi, Urdu, Bengali as well as English are the commonly spoken languages in this area. Purnia has an agricultural economy. The fertile soil supports paddy cultivation. Crops like potatoes, wheat, khesari, chickpeas, lentils, barley, sugarcane, tobacco, chili peppers, maize, makhana, mung beans and jute are also cultivated in the area. There are several poultries and fisheries in Purnia. This rapidly developing city is equipped with all modern amenities and many educational institutions.
The SVC Cooperative Bank Limited is a banking company incorporated and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of theShamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. The bank in opened first Co-operative store in 1910. In 1915, the first Co-operative housing society was built in Bombay. In 1927, the Fidelity Guarantee Fund was launched simultaneously with Distress Relief Fund in 1931 and Staff Gratuity Fund in 1954. In 1964, Safe Deposit Vaults were introduced by the bank. In Fiscal 2016, the deposits of the bank crossed 13000 crores. In 2002, the corporate office was opened by the bank at SVC Tower in Vakola. In 2003, Genius I Core banking solution was implemented in all the branches of SVC bank.