North Dumdum is a thriving city in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is a municipality in the Barrackpore subdivision of the North 24 Parganas district and consists of localities like Nimta, Birati and parts of Rajarhat. The North Dumdum municipality was established in 1870. During the partition of Bengal in 1947, numerous refugees had migrated to this region from former East Pakistan. Initially, the bulk of refugees were mostly non-agriculturists and they made some vocational arrangements of their own by taking to squatting. They indulged in the forcible occupation of barracks and collectively took-over the private and government lands. By the year 1949, several refugee colonies had emerged in the area. Within very less time, these squatters not only found places to stay but also developed a properly functioning society with markets, schools, temples and eventually built colleges, hospitals and recreational centers. North Dumdum has over 2.5 lakh residents now. It houses the Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, which is the only international airport in the state. This area comes under the Kolkata Metropolitan Area and most of its residents work in the various service sectors of the neighboring metro city.
The SVC Cooperative Bank Limited is a banking company incorporated and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of theShamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. The bank in opened first Co-operative store in 1910. In 1915, the first Co-operative housing society was built in Bombay. In 1927, the Fidelity Guarantee Fund was launched simultaneously with Distress Relief Fund in 1931 and Staff Gratuity Fund in 1954. In 1964, Safe Deposit Vaults were introduced by the bank. In Fiscal 2016, the deposits of the bank crossed 13000 crores. In 2002, the corporate office was opened by the bank at SVC Tower in Vakola. In 2003, Genius I Core banking solution was implemented in all the branches of SVC bank.