The city of Junagadh in the Indian state of Gujarat functions as the headquarters of the Junagadh district. It is the 7th largest city in Gujarat, situated at the base of the Girnar hills. There are two rivers flowing through the city, namely Sonrakh and Kalwo. The name of the city literally translates to "Old Fort." The city was earlier a princely state and is also known by its previous name "Sorath." Junagadh was initially a part of the Saurashtra state and later belonged to the Bombay state. After the Maha Gujarat movement in 1960, the city became a part of the newly formed state of Gujarat. Mountainous region and forest reserves constitute the topography of Junagadh which doesnt support the growth of industries or plants in the area. The main source of economic growth for Junagadh is its mineral-based cement industry, agricultural production and the power sector. There are huge reserves of limestone in the vicinity of Junagadh, which ensures a thriving cement industry. The major crops cultivated in the area are wheat, oilseeds, cotton, mango, groundnut, garlic, banana, onion and brinjal. There are spectacular tourist spots in Junagadh. The Uparkot Fort is an impressive fort that was built by Chandragupta during the Mauryan rule. The temple at Somnath is famous among Hindu devotees. The Gir Forest National Park draws numerous tourists every year.
The SVC Cooperative Bank Limited is a banking company incorporated and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of theShamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. The bank in opened first Co-operative store in 1910. In 1915, the first Co-operative housing society was built in Bombay. In 1927, the Fidelity Guarantee Fund was launched simultaneously with Distress Relief Fund in 1931 and Staff Gratuity Fund in 1954. In 1964, Safe Deposit Vaults were introduced by the bank. In Fiscal 2016, the deposits of the bank crossed 13000 crores. In 2002, the corporate office was opened by the bank at SVC Tower in Vakola. In 2003, Genius I Core banking solution was implemented in all the branches of SVC bank.