The two neighboring cities of Hubli (or Hubballi in the local language) and Dharwad in the South Indian state of Karnataka were merged in 1961 to form the twin city of Hubli-Dharwad. The name "Hubballi" literally translates to "flowering creeper" in Kannada. The word "Dharwad" refers to a place of rest during long travel or a small habitation. While Hubli acts as the commercial center and business hub, Dharwad situated around 20 kilometers away is the administrative headquarter of the twin city. This city is the second largest in the state after the capital city of Bangalore. As history reveals, the area had been ruled by the famous Vijayanagara dynasty and later by the Mughals, the Nawabs, the Marathas as well as the Peshwas. Hubli, being the commercial hub, houses numerous of small and medium industries. The area is known for mining manganese ore and granite as well as for the agricultural production of cotton, groundnut and oilseeds. The twin cities are also adept at manufacture of textiles from the cultivated cotton. The green and scenic city of Dharwad, apart from housing the citys administrative departments, is also a seat of learning. Prestigious and renowned educational institutions like Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences (KIMS), Karnataka State Law University, The District Institute of Education and Training, University of Agricultural Sciences, etc. An IIT has also been recently established at Dharwad.
The SVC Cooperative Bank Limited is a banking company incorporated and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of theShamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. The bank in opened first Co-operative store in 1910. In 1915, the first Co-operative housing society was built in Bombay. In 1927, the Fidelity Guarantee Fund was launched simultaneously with Distress Relief Fund in 1931 and Staff Gratuity Fund in 1954. In 1964, Safe Deposit Vaults were introduced by the bank. In Fiscal 2016, the deposits of the bank crossed 13000 crores. In 2002, the corporate office was opened by the bank at SVC Tower in Vakola. In 2003, Genius I Core banking solution was implemented in all the branches of SVC bank.