Haldia is an industrial city as well as a port city in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is located in the Purba Medinipur district. Haldia has a major river port and an industrial belt, situated at a distance of more than 100 kilometers from Kolkata, near the mouth of the Hooghly River. The Haldi River, an offshoot of Ganges, borders the Haldia Township. Haldia is a center for the petrochemical industry and is being improved into a major trade port for Kolkata. The city has around 2 lakh residents, mostly employed in the industrial sector. Haldia has numerous factories such as South Asian Petrochemicals Ltd, Exide, Indian Oil Corporation Limited, Tata Chemicals, India Power Corporation Ltd., Haldia Petrochemicals, Mitsubishi Chemical Corporations, Hindustan Lever, etc. in addition to several light industries. Apart from being well connected to the rest of the country via railway and road, Haldia is also connected via waterway. The National Waterway 1 is a 1620 km long inland waterway. It connects Haldia to Allahabad and runs across the Ganges, the Bhagirathi river and the Hooghly river systems. Haldia has a mini Japanese township called Sataku. A Japanese community lives in the area, whose residents work as engineers and top executives in the Mitsubishi Chemical Corporations purified terephthalic acid plant in Haldia.
The SVC Cooperative Bank Limited is a banking company incorporated and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of theShamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. The bank in opened first Co-operative store in 1910. In 1915, the first Co-operative housing society was built in Bombay. In 1927, the Fidelity Guarantee Fund was launched simultaneously with Distress Relief Fund in 1931 and Staff Gratuity Fund in 1954. In 1964, Safe Deposit Vaults were introduced by the bank. In Fiscal 2016, the deposits of the bank crossed 13000 crores. In 2002, the corporate office was opened by the bank at SVC Tower in Vakola. In 2003, Genius I Core banking solution was implemented in all the branches of SVC bank.