Durgapur, situated in the Burdwan district of the Indian state of West Bengal, is Indias second planned city. It is the third largest city in West Bengal and is also known as the "Ruhr of India." It lies beside the Damodar River and is the only city in the eastern part of India to have an operational dry dock. The city is a base of industrialization in East India owing to it coal-rich belt which supports the flourishing steel, cement, thermal power and chemicals industries. Large-scale industries like the Durgapur Steel Plant, the Durgapur Thermal Power Station, the Durgapur Cement Ltd, Graphite India Ltd, Hindustan Fertilizer Corporation, etc are based out of this city. Education is another sector that has a strong hold on this region. Institutions like National Institute of Technology, National Power Training Institute, Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute, apart from several Kendriya Vidyalayas and Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas School ensure quality education to the youth of Durgapur. Durgapur is not exactly a typical spot for tourism. However, some of the places worth visiting include Durgapur Barrage, Mohan Kumar Mangalam Park, Anand Amusement Park, Rahreswar Shibtola, Ram Mandir, Deul Park, Garh Jungle, etc.
The SVC Cooperative Bank Limited is a banking company incorporated and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of theShamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. The bank in opened first Co-operative store in 1910. In 1915, the first Co-operative housing society was built in Bombay. In 1927, the Fidelity Guarantee Fund was launched simultaneously with Distress Relief Fund in 1931 and Staff Gratuity Fund in 1954. In 1964, Safe Deposit Vaults were introduced by the bank. In Fiscal 2016, the deposits of the bank crossed 13000 crores. In 2002, the corporate office was opened by the bank at SVC Tower in Vakola. In 2003, Genius I Core banking solution was implemented in all the branches of SVC bank.