The city of Chittoor is also the district headquarter of the Chittoor district in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh and thus there are many district-level government institutions in this city. Chittoor also functions as the headquarters of the Chittoor Mandal and the Chittoor revenue division. The city has a population of more than 3.5 lakh residents who majorly speak in Telugu. However, the city also houses many Tamil, Kannada and Marathi speaking people. Chittoor is located in the southernmost part of Andhra Pradesh, on the banks of River Neeva. The economy of Chittoor is predominantly run by its agro-market. The city witnesses the production and trade of mango, grain, sugarcane and peanut. Tomato farming in Chittoor contributes to over 20% of the States production of tomatoes. The other industries in the region include oilseed, poultry and milk. It is the second largest milk producing district in the state and has an expansive dairy industry. Chittoor is also known for its textile industry. Silk is weaved in 13,000 power looms, providing employment to more than 40,000 workers. The granite industry is also known for its production of black, pink and grey granites. The historical Chandragiri Fort from the 11th century is the most notable landmark near Chittoor. Ardhagiri Anjaneyaswamy temple and Swayambu Varasidhi Vinayakaswamy temple are other notable landmarks in and around Chittoor.
The SVC Cooperative Bank Limited is a banking company incorporated and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of theShamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. The bank in opened first Co-operative store in 1910. In 1915, the first Co-operative housing society was built in Bombay. In 1927, the Fidelity Guarantee Fund was launched simultaneously with Distress Relief Fund in 1931 and Staff Gratuity Fund in 1954. In 1964, Safe Deposit Vaults were introduced by the bank. In Fiscal 2016, the deposits of the bank crossed 13000 crores. In 2002, the corporate office was opened by the bank at SVC Tower in Vakola. In 2003, Genius I Core banking solution was implemented in all the branches of SVC bank.