Bidhannagar, in the Indian state of West Bengal, is popularly known as Salt Lake City. It is a planned satellite town that was developed between 1958 and 1965 in order to accommodate the growing population of Kolkata. It is a small-sized neighbor of Kolkata and is connected to the metro city via Eastern Metropolitan Bypass. The city is well planned and organized into numerous blocks. The city is also well divided into academic, commercial and residential zones. Sector 5 of Bidhannagar houses the IT sector of Kolkata where leading MNCs have set up their offices. There are several prestigious academic institutions in the area such as All India Institute of Hygiene and Public Health, Government College of Engineering and Leather Technology, Aliah University, Bidhannagar College, National Institute of Fashion Technology, Institute of Engineering and Management, West Bengal University of Technology, etc. Apart from the thriving IT industry, Bidhannagar houses several government offices, especially of the West Bengal State Education Board. The residents of the area are either employed in the IT and government sectors within the city or travel to the adjoining metro city of Kolkata for work. West Bengals only International football stadium, the Yuva Bharati Krirangan is located in this area.
The SVC Cooperative Bank Limited is a banking company incorporated and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of theShamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. The bank in opened first Co-operative store in 1910. In 1915, the first Co-operative housing society was built in Bombay. In 1927, the Fidelity Guarantee Fund was launched simultaneously with Distress Relief Fund in 1931 and Staff Gratuity Fund in 1954. In 1964, Safe Deposit Vaults were introduced by the bank. In Fiscal 2016, the deposits of the bank crossed 13000 crores. In 2002, the corporate office was opened by the bank at SVC Tower in Vakola. In 2003, Genius I Core banking solution was implemented in all the branches of SVC bank.