Bhopal, the capital of Madhya Pradesh, is known for its scenic beauty and old historic structures. The city has many natural as well as artificial lakes and is often referred to as the City of Lakes. The city is divided into two - old and new Bhopal. The old city is marked by its marketplaces, mosques and palaces, whereas the new city has modern buildings, broad avenues as well as many verdant parks and gardens. Folklore says that the city was founded by Raja Bhoja of the Paramara dynasty in the 11th century. The modern city of Bhopal was established by a Pashtun soldier in the Mughal army by the name of Dost Mohammad Khan soon after the death of King Aurangzeb. Bhopals delectable cuisine and splendid architecture was a gift from the Muslim rulers. During the British rule, Bhopal became a princely state and was ruled by four Muslim women who are popularly known as the Begums. These Begums gifted the city with its railways, waterworks, the postal system and even a municipality. Hindus and Muslims harmoniously coexist in this city that celebrates Diwali and Eid with equal passion and devotion. Bhopal, in recent times, serves as a trade center of electrical goods, and chemicals, cotton clothes and jewelry. The city also has various institutes of national importance. AIIMS, IISER and ISRO?s Master Control Facility are a few among them. Bhopal is known for its gas tragedy on 3rd December 1984, when methyl isocyanate gas escaped from the Union Carbide Insecticide plant and affected the lives of lakhs of people, killing thousands. It was one of the gravest industrial disasters in the history of mankind.
The SVC Cooperative Bank Limited is a banking company incorporated and one of the oldest Urban Co-operative Bank in India built in 1906. It was established with the primary aim of helping the less fortunate members of the community under the ambit of its economic enterprises. It was also to encourage savings and to create funds for providing financial aid to deserving members.Mr. Rao Bahadur Shripad Subbarao Talmaki was the chief architect of theShamrao Vithal Co-op. Bank Ltd. Bank. The Bank was initially registered as a Co-operative Credit Society on 27 December 1906. In 1907, cumulative deposit scheme, fixed deposit scheme and saving bank deposit were introduced by the bank. The bank in opened first Co-operative store in 1910. In 1915, the first Co-operative housing society was built in Bombay. In 1927, the Fidelity Guarantee Fund was launched simultaneously with Distress Relief Fund in 1931 and Staff Gratuity Fund in 1954. In 1964, Safe Deposit Vaults were introduced by the bank. In Fiscal 2016, the deposits of the bank crossed 13000 crores. In 2002, the corporate office was opened by the bank at SVC Tower in Vakola. In 2003, Genius I Core banking solution was implemented in all the branches of SVC bank.