Jamalpur, a part of Munger-Jamalpur twin cities, is situated in the Indian state of Bihar. The name Jamalpur is an amalgam of two words - Jamal which means beautiful and pur which means town. True to its name, Jamalpur is indeed a beautiful town with a scenic landscape and peaceful environment. It is situated 8 kilometers from its twin city of Munger. There are more than 1 lakh residents in this city and they speak in a variety of languages such as Maithili, Hindi, Angika, Bhojpuri, Bengali and Urdu. Jamalpur is recognized for the Jamalpur Locomotive Workshop. It provides employment opportunities to more than 25000 people at its training institution known as The Indian Railways Institute of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. The town, as well as the railway institute, was established in 1862 during the British Raj. Apart from the railway workshop, the economy of the city is also driven by a foundry, metallurgical lab facilities and machine tool facilities. "Kali Pahar" atop Jamalpur Hill, is a paleolithic site where quartzine from the Early and Middle Stone Ages was found.
PNB was found in 1894 and registered under the Company Act on 19th May with its office in Lahore before partition. Presently the head office is in New Delhi, India. The bank had over 80 million customers, 6,900 branches across India. Overseas, PNB has a banking subsidiary in the UK, Kowloon, Hong Kong, Dubai, and Kabul. It was established with the primary objective of strengthening the economic development in the country. The representative offices of PNB are in Dubai, Sydney, Almaty, Oslo, and Shanghai. The bank started its operations on 12th April 1895. The founding members of PNB consist of many leaders from the Swadeshi movement. Mr.Lala Lajpat Rai was actively involved with the management of bank in its initial years of formation. The PNB was the first national bank to began and survive with the national capital. It had the privilege of maintaining accounts of prominent leaders such as Lal Bahadur Shastri, Mahatma Gandhi, Indira Gandhi and JL Nehru. The first branch of PNB outside Lahore was started in 1900. In 1969, the government nationalized it.