The two separate towns of Rajpur and Sonarpur in the South 24 Parganas district of the Indian State of West Bengal has been united to form the municipality of Rajpur Sonarpur. This small and emerging city comes under the Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority or KMDA region. The area was earlier inhabited by the zamindars, who called the area "Rajar Puri," that translates to "Land of the Kings" in the regional language. The city is well connected to the nearby areas and lies in the vicinity of the metro city Kolkata. Rajpur Sonarpur is mostly a residential area and its residents mostly work in the service sector of the KMDA region. The Tripurasundari Temple in Boral area of Rajpur Sonarpur is a famous spot that attracts tourists as well as devotees. Many famous Bengali movies have been shot in and around this city. Rajpur Sonarpur city has a population of around 4 lakh and Bengali is the most commonly used language in the area.
After the Banking Regulations Act was introduced in1949, the Laxmi Vilas Bank received its license from RBI and became a scheduled commercial bank? revealing its capability of operating as a full-fledged commercial bank. The Laxmi Vilas Bank is a private sector bank and was founded in 1926. It is based in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India and did considerable expansion of its branch network from 1961 to 1965, when the bank took over nine other banks. In 1976, the bank obtained the status of Authorized Dealer in foreign exchange for providing services to the customers involved in international trade as well as to travelers who travel overseas. In 1977, the mechanization was introduced in the administrative office. The bank implemented core Banking Solution (CBS) in October 2006, and all of the banks branches were migrated to CBS by March 2008. Lakshmi Vilas Bank has 523 offices,984 ATM centers, and seven extension counters, as of 2018. Mr. Partha Sarthi Mukherjee is the MD and CEO of Lakshmi Vilas Bank. The bank was established on November 3, 1926, under the Indian Companies Act, 1913, and on November 10, 1926, it obtained the certificate to commence business.