Kishanganj in Bihar was earlier a part of the Purnia district. The city, located in the Mithila region of the state, has now become a district on its own. The region has been under the dominance of the Indo-Aryan race, the Kingdom of the Videhas and was later incorporated into the Vajji confederacy. It is an economically backward region and is currently being funded by the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme. Kishanganj is a Muslim majority area in Bihar that has more than 1 lakh residents. The people living in Kishanganj speak in Maithili, Urdu, Surjapuri and Hindi. Many educational institutions have been established in Kishanganj in the last few years. Sonia Gandhi laid down the foundation stone of the Kishanganj campus of Aligarh Muslim University in 2014. Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam Agriculture College is also being built at Kishanganj. The city has a strong railhead and is well-connected to the neighboring areas via railway as well as roads.
After the Banking Regulations Act was introduced in1949, the Laxmi Vilas Bank received its license from RBI and became a scheduled commercial bank? revealing its capability of operating as a full-fledged commercial bank. The Laxmi Vilas Bank is a private sector bank and was founded in 1926. It is based in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India and did considerable expansion of its branch network from 1961 to 1965, when the bank took over nine other banks. In 1976, the bank obtained the status of Authorized Dealer in foreign exchange for providing services to the customers involved in international trade as well as to travelers who travel overseas. In 1977, the mechanization was introduced in the administrative office. The bank implemented core Banking Solution (CBS) in October 2006, and all of the banks branches were migrated to CBS by March 2008. Lakshmi Vilas Bank has 523 offices,984 ATM centers, and seven extension counters, as of 2018. Mr. Partha Sarthi Mukherjee is the MD and CEO of Lakshmi Vilas Bank. The bank was established on November 3, 1926, under the Indian Companies Act, 1913, and on November 10, 1926, it obtained the certificate to commence business.