The city of Dewas is located on the Malwa plateau in the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. It functions as the administrative center of the Dewas District. Dewas is an industrial city. It houses a government bank note press which happens to be the largest of its kind in Asia. The word Dewas is assumed to be a combination of the words Dev which means deity and Vas which means abode; so Dewas refers to the house of the God. The city lies at the foot of a conical hill, known as Chamunda hill, which has the shrine of the Goddess Vashini on its peak. The city was known for being a production center of retail opium during the 19th century. The city has many industrial units of companies like Tata, Kirloskar, Arvind Mills, Gajra Gears, Sun Pharma Industries Limited, etc. employing thousands of workers. The city is known for its soya bean processing industry in the country. Places of tourist interest in and around Dewas are Mata Tekri, Kaila Devi temple, Meetha Talab, Chamunda Hills, etc.
After the Banking Regulations Act was introduced in1949, the Laxmi Vilas Bank received its license from RBI and became a scheduled commercial bank? revealing its capability of operating as a full-fledged commercial bank. The Laxmi Vilas Bank is a private sector bank and was founded in 1926. It is based in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India and did considerable expansion of its branch network from 1961 to 1965, when the bank took over nine other banks. In 1976, the bank obtained the status of Authorized Dealer in foreign exchange for providing services to the customers involved in international trade as well as to travelers who travel overseas. In 1977, the mechanization was introduced in the administrative office. The bank implemented core Banking Solution (CBS) in October 2006, and all of the banks branches were migrated to CBS by March 2008. Lakshmi Vilas Bank has 523 offices,984 ATM centers, and seven extension counters, as of 2018. Mr. Partha Sarthi Mukherjee is the MD and CEO of Lakshmi Vilas Bank. The bank was established on November 3, 1926, under the Indian Companies Act, 1913, and on November 10, 1926, it obtained the certificate to commence business.