Begusarai is a town in the Indian state of Bihar. It functions as the administrative headquarters of the Begusarai district which lies on the northern bank of Ganges. It was established and made into a part of the Munger District 1870. The communists have had a strong hold on Begusarai and thus the town was once called the "Leningrad of Bihar." The city is divided into three floodplains called the Ganga Floodplain, the Burhi Gandak Floodplain and the Kareha-Bagmati Floodplain. Agriculture is the pillar of Begusarais economy. The principal cash crops of the area are oilseeds, aniseed, tobacco, jute, potato, red chilies and tomato. Fruits such as Litchi, Mango, Guava and Banana are also cultivated in the area. Recently basil leaves and pearl farming has attracted local farmers. The Barauni refinery contributes considerably to the state exchequer yearly. The city has around 2.5 lakh residents who are mostly employed in the agricultural sector.
After the Banking Regulations Act was introduced in1949, the Laxmi Vilas Bank received its license from RBI and became a scheduled commercial bank? revealing its capability of operating as a full-fledged commercial bank. The Laxmi Vilas Bank is a private sector bank and was founded in 1926. It is based in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India and did considerable expansion of its branch network from 1961 to 1965, when the bank took over nine other banks. In 1976, the bank obtained the status of Authorized Dealer in foreign exchange for providing services to the customers involved in international trade as well as to travelers who travel overseas. In 1977, the mechanization was introduced in the administrative office. The bank implemented core Banking Solution (CBS) in October 2006, and all of the banks branches were migrated to CBS by March 2008. Lakshmi Vilas Bank has 523 offices,984 ATM centers, and seven extension counters, as of 2018. Mr. Partha Sarthi Mukherjee is the MD and CEO of Lakshmi Vilas Bank. The bank was established on November 3, 1926, under the Indian Companies Act, 1913, and on November 10, 1926, it obtained the certificate to commence business.