Pallavaram, situated in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, was originally known as Pallava Puram. It is a residential locality in Chennai. It is known for its bustling residential colonies and cantonments. The Pallavaram railway station serves the neighborhood and it belongs to the Chennai Suburban Railway Network. The historical town of Pallavaram has been resided in since the Paleolithic Age. Pallavaram has derived its name from the Pallava settlement in the area. The cantonment and aerodrome were built during the British rule. The British conducted mining activities on Pallavaram Hill. The hill, made of charnockite rock, presumably possesses healing properties. This city is one of the oldest inhabited regions in South India as many stone age artifacts have been uncovered in the area. The city has more than 2 lakh residents who speak in Tamil. Most of the residents work in various service sectors in the neighboring city of Chennai.
The Indian Bank was founded on 15th August,1907. Fourteen top banks were nationalized by the Indian Government on 19th July,1969, including Indian Bank. As a result of the nationalization, the branches of nationalized Indian banks in Malaysia were forbidden to continue operations as parent branches. At that time, Indian Bank had three offices. In 1973, the three branches merged to establish United Asian Bank Berhad and take over their Malaysian operations. After the nationalization, Indian Bank was left with only two foreign offices, one in Colombo and the other in Singapore. The International expansion resumed in 1978 with Indian Bank becoming a technical adviser to PT Bank Rama in Indonesia. Two years later, Indian Bank, BOB, and UBI established Indian Union Bank International Finance, in Hong Kong. The three banks had an equal share in the joint venture; the Indian Banks Chairman became the first Chairman of IUB International Finance. In May 1980, the Indian Bank also opened a foreign currency unit at its branch in Colombo. In 1981, the Indian Bank set up its first Regional Rural Bank, in Chittoor.