Orai is located in the Jalaun district of Uttar Pradesh. This city functions as the district headquarters of the Jalaun district in the Jhansi division of the state. The NH-27 passes through Orai, which is midway between Jhansi and Kanpur. Orai is believed to have been named after a saint - Rishi Uddalak who is worshipped in the area. Orai was ruled by the Rajputs, the Chandels, the Mughals, the Marathas and many other regional rulers. Orai became a scene of much violence during the Great Revolt of 1857. The residents of the area who were in the 53rd Native Infantry deserted their officers and rebelled against them as soon as they came to know of the rising in Kanpur. Orai witnessed major changes after 1990 when industries were introduced to the area. HUL, Sun India Pharmacy and several other companies opened their units in and around Orai. The city was further developed as schools and colleges were established, roads were built and the infrastructure was improved. A predominantly dry area, Orai is watered by the Bethwa Canal that supports the production of grain, oil-seeds, cotton and ghee which are exported. The city has more than 2 lakh residents and they speak in Hindi.
The Indian Bank was founded on 15th August,1907. Fourteen top banks were nationalized by the Indian Government on 19th July,1969, including Indian Bank. As a result of the nationalization, the branches of nationalized Indian banks in Malaysia were forbidden to continue operations as parent branches. At that time, Indian Bank had three offices. In 1973, the three branches merged to establish United Asian Bank Berhad and take over their Malaysian operations. After the nationalization, Indian Bank was left with only two foreign offices, one in Colombo and the other in Singapore. The International expansion resumed in 1978 with Indian Bank becoming a technical adviser to PT Bank Rama in Indonesia. Two years later, Indian Bank, BOB, and UBI established Indian Union Bank International Finance, in Hong Kong. The three banks had an equal share in the joint venture; the Indian Banks Chairman became the first Chairman of IUB International Finance. In May 1980, the Indian Bank also opened a foreign currency unit at its branch in Colombo. In 1981, the Indian Bank set up its first Regional Rural Bank, in Chittoor.