North Dumdum is a thriving city in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is a municipality in the Barrackpore subdivision of the North 24 Parganas district and consists of localities like Nimta, Birati and parts of Rajarhat. The North Dumdum municipality was established in 1870. During the partition of Bengal in 1947, numerous refugees had migrated to this region from former East Pakistan. Initially, the bulk of refugees were mostly non-agriculturists and they made some vocational arrangements of their own by taking to squatting. They indulged in the forcible occupation of barracks and collectively took-over the private and government lands. By the year 1949, several refugee colonies had emerged in the area. Within very less time, these squatters not only found places to stay but also developed a properly functioning society with markets, schools, temples and eventually built colleges, hospitals and recreational centers. North Dumdum has over 2.5 lakh residents now. It houses the Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, which is the only international airport in the state. This area comes under the Kolkata Metropolitan Area and most of its residents work in the various service sectors of the neighboring metro city.
The Indian Bank was founded on 15th August,1907. Fourteen top banks were nationalized by the Indian Government on 19th July,1969, including Indian Bank. As a result of the nationalization, the branches of nationalized Indian banks in Malaysia were forbidden to continue operations as parent branches. At that time, Indian Bank had three offices. In 1973, the three branches merged to establish United Asian Bank Berhad and take over their Malaysian operations. After the nationalization, Indian Bank was left with only two foreign offices, one in Colombo and the other in Singapore. The International expansion resumed in 1978 with Indian Bank becoming a technical adviser to PT Bank Rama in Indonesia. Two years later, Indian Bank, BOB, and UBI established Indian Union Bank International Finance, in Hong Kong. The three banks had an equal share in the joint venture; the Indian Banks Chairman became the first Chairman of IUB International Finance. In May 1980, the Indian Bank also opened a foreign currency unit at its branch in Colombo. In 1981, the Indian Bank set up its first Regional Rural Bank, in Chittoor.