Naihati is a riverside town in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is situated in the Barrackpore subdivision of the North 24 Parganas district. Naihati municipality, established in 1869, is one of the oldest in the country. Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay, who wrote Indias national song Vande Mataram, was born in Naihati. Naihati had a vibrant industrial area. The jute mills along the bank of the Hooghly River were thriving and prosperous at a time, which attracted a lot of immigrants from the neighboring state of Bihar and Odisha. Hence, a large portion of Naihatis 2 lakh residents are immigrants who have settled down in shanty towns around the mill area. The Jenson & Nicholson factory was the first of its kind to be set up at Naihati. It produces paints, varnishes, pigments and allied products. The Gouripore Jute Mill and the Nuddea Jute Mills were leading providers of employment in Naihati. Naihati is also notable for fish farming - various genus of fish like Katla, Koi, Magur, Pabda, Rohu, etc. are reared in several fisheries in the area. Naihati railway station is also an important railway junction on the Indian Railways network. Durga Puja and Kali Puja are celebrated at Naihati with much pomp and show.
The Indian Bank was founded on 15th August,1907. Fourteen top banks were nationalized by the Indian Government on 19th July,1969, including Indian Bank. As a result of the nationalization, the branches of nationalized Indian banks in Malaysia were forbidden to continue operations as parent branches. At that time, Indian Bank had three offices. In 1973, the three branches merged to establish United Asian Bank Berhad and take over their Malaysian operations. After the nationalization, Indian Bank was left with only two foreign offices, one in Colombo and the other in Singapore. The International expansion resumed in 1978 with Indian Bank becoming a technical adviser to PT Bank Rama in Indonesia. Two years later, Indian Bank, BOB, and UBI established Indian Union Bank International Finance, in Hong Kong. The three banks had an equal share in the joint venture; the Indian Banks Chairman became the first Chairman of IUB International Finance. In May 1980, the Indian Bank also opened a foreign currency unit at its branch in Colombo. In 1981, the Indian Bank set up its first Regional Rural Bank, in Chittoor.