Kulti is a neighborhood in Asansol in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is situated in the Asansol Sadar subdivision of the Paschim Bardhaman district. The city of Kulti lies between two great rivers ? the Damodar and the Ajay. The rivers run parallelly with the city in between, and the area is composed of undulating laterite soil. Kulti was a small village earlier but it underwent major development when the IISCO plant was set up in the area. Kulti had India?s first blast furnace that operated in the plant at Burnpur from 1875 to the 1950s. Steel was manufactured for the first time in India in open hearth furnaces in 1904 at Kulti. Spun pipes were made for the first time in India at Kulti. Kulti is an industrial township with most of its residents employed in the industrial belt in and around the city. There are a few places worth visiting nearby such as Maithon Dam, Panchet Dam, Bakreshwar, Bishnupur and Tagores Shantiniketan.
The Indian Bank was founded on 15th August,1907. Fourteen top banks were nationalized by the Indian Government on 19th July,1969, including Indian Bank. As a result of the nationalization, the branches of nationalized Indian banks in Malaysia were forbidden to continue operations as parent branches. At that time, Indian Bank had three offices. In 1973, the three branches merged to establish United Asian Bank Berhad and take over their Malaysian operations. After the nationalization, Indian Bank was left with only two foreign offices, one in Colombo and the other in Singapore. The International expansion resumed in 1978 with Indian Bank becoming a technical adviser to PT Bank Rama in Indonesia. Two years later, Indian Bank, BOB, and UBI established Indian Union Bank International Finance, in Hong Kong. The three banks had an equal share in the joint venture; the Indian Banks Chairman became the first Chairman of IUB International Finance. In May 1980, the Indian Bank also opened a foreign currency unit at its branch in Colombo. In 1981, the Indian Bank set up its first Regional Rural Bank, in Chittoor.