Kharagpur is an industrial city in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is located in the Paschim Medinipur district of the state. It is a densely populated, multi-cultural and cosmopolitan city. The first Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT Kharagpur), was founded in this region in May 1950. Kharagpur is known for hosting one of the largest railway workshops in the country. The Kharagpur railway station is a busy and important railway junction and it has the 3rd longest railway platform in the world, stretching for more than 1 kilometer. The city received its name from king Kharga Malla of Mallabhum when he had conquered it. Kharagpur Municipality oversees the administration and the civic affairs in the city. The city has around 3 lakh residents. Bengali is the most commonly spoken language in the area, although many residents speak in Hindi, Telugu, Odia and Punjabi. This city has one of the largest industrial setups in the state. The good connectivity via rail and road ensures availability of labor and raw materials. Many large industrial plants belonging to important establishments like Tata, Siemens, ISD Cement, Godrej, Century Extrusions, Humboldt Wedag, Bengal Energy, Ramco Cements, etc are located in and around Kharagpur. The town has many small rice mills and iron rolling mills. An IT Park is under construction in the city.
The Indian Bank was founded on 15th August,1907. Fourteen top banks were nationalized by the Indian Government on 19th July,1969, including Indian Bank. As a result of the nationalization, the branches of nationalized Indian banks in Malaysia were forbidden to continue operations as parent branches. At that time, Indian Bank had three offices. In 1973, the three branches merged to establish United Asian Bank Berhad and take over their Malaysian operations. After the nationalization, Indian Bank was left with only two foreign offices, one in Colombo and the other in Singapore. The International expansion resumed in 1978 with Indian Bank becoming a technical adviser to PT Bank Rama in Indonesia. Two years later, Indian Bank, BOB, and UBI established Indian Union Bank International Finance, in Hong Kong. The three banks had an equal share in the joint venture; the Indian Banks Chairman became the first Chairman of IUB International Finance. In May 1980, the Indian Bank also opened a foreign currency unit at its branch in Colombo. In 1981, the Indian Bank set up its first Regional Rural Bank, in Chittoor.