Jamalpur, a part of Munger-Jamalpur twin cities, is situated in the Indian state of Bihar. The name Jamalpur is an amalgam of two words - Jamal which means beautiful and pur which means town. True to its name, Jamalpur is indeed a beautiful town with a scenic landscape and peaceful environment. It is situated 8 kilometers from its twin city of Munger. There are more than 1 lakh residents in this city and they speak in a variety of languages such as Maithili, Hindi, Angika, Bhojpuri, Bengali and Urdu. Jamalpur is recognized for the Jamalpur Locomotive Workshop. It provides employment opportunities to more than 25000 people at its training institution known as The Indian Railways Institute of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. The town, as well as the railway institute, was established in 1862 during the British Raj. Apart from the railway workshop, the economy of the city is also driven by a foundry, metallurgical lab facilities and machine tool facilities. "Kali Pahar" atop Jamalpur Hill, is a paleolithic site where quartzine from the Early and Middle Stone Ages was found.
The Indian Bank was founded on 15th August,1907. Fourteen top banks were nationalized by the Indian Government on 19th July,1969, including Indian Bank. As a result of the nationalization, the branches of nationalized Indian banks in Malaysia were forbidden to continue operations as parent branches. At that time, Indian Bank had three offices. In 1973, the three branches merged to establish United Asian Bank Berhad and take over their Malaysian operations. After the nationalization, Indian Bank was left with only two foreign offices, one in Colombo and the other in Singapore. The International expansion resumed in 1978 with Indian Bank becoming a technical adviser to PT Bank Rama in Indonesia. Two years later, Indian Bank, BOB, and UBI established Indian Union Bank International Finance, in Hong Kong. The three banks had an equal share in the joint venture; the Indian Banks Chairman became the first Chairman of IUB International Finance. In May 1980, the Indian Bank also opened a foreign currency unit at its branch in Colombo. In 1981, the Indian Bank set up its first Regional Rural Bank, in Chittoor.