The Indian city of Burhanpur is a historical city located in the Nimar region of Madhya Pradesh. It functions as the administrative hub of Burhanpur District. It is situated on the bank of River Tapti. Historical excavations have revealed that the Rashtrakuta Dynasty had ruled over the area during 753?982 AD. In 1388, the Faruqi dynasty Sultan Malik Nasir Khan discovered Burhanpur, made it the capital of the Khandesh sultanate and named it after a medieval Sufi saint called Burhan-ud-Din. During the reign of the Faruqi dynasty, the city got transformed into a major center for textile production and trade. The place was later annexed into the Mughal Empire in 1601 by Emperor Akbar. Burhanpur is known for its textile industry as it is the largest center for the power loom industry in Madhya Pradesh. Over 300 companies that deal in interlining cloth and other types of fabric are based in this city. Balaji has its units for manufacturing pipes and agricultural equipment in Burhanpur. Additionally, there are many cotton and oil mills in the city. Burhanpur is also the largest producer of banana in Madhya Pradesh. Burhanpur is well-known for its thriving tourism industry. Apart from the scenic views, the city offers several beautiful spots for tourism such as Asirgarh Fort, Shahi Qila, Dargah-e-Hakimi, Swami Narayan Temple, etc.
The Indian Bank was founded on 15th August,1907. Fourteen top banks were nationalized by the Indian Government on 19th July,1969, including Indian Bank. As a result of the nationalization, the branches of nationalized Indian banks in Malaysia were forbidden to continue operations as parent branches. At that time, Indian Bank had three offices. In 1973, the three branches merged to establish United Asian Bank Berhad and take over their Malaysian operations. After the nationalization, Indian Bank was left with only two foreign offices, one in Colombo and the other in Singapore. The International expansion resumed in 1978 with Indian Bank becoming a technical adviser to PT Bank Rama in Indonesia. Two years later, Indian Bank, BOB, and UBI established Indian Union Bank International Finance, in Hong Kong. The three banks had an equal share in the joint venture; the Indian Banks Chairman became the first Chairman of IUB International Finance. In May 1980, the Indian Bank also opened a foreign currency unit at its branch in Colombo. In 1981, the Indian Bank set up its first Regional Rural Bank, in Chittoor.