Baharampur is located in the Murshidabad district of the Indian state of West Bengal. About 200 kilometers away from the state capital of Kolkata, Baharampur functions as the administrative headquarters of the district. Berhampore was captured by the British East India Company, soon after the Battle of Plassey in 1757, and it continued to be a British cantonment till 1870. Initially, most of the residents of Baharampur were government employees besides a few employed in agriculture and silk traders. Gradually, the importance of Baharampur increased and now it has become a business hub. Tourism contributes to the citys economy due to its historical importance. The major industries in this city are rice and oil-seed milling. Many home-crafts such as silk weaving, ivory carving and precious metal works are important industries in this city. The Murshidabad tassar silk of Baharampur is famous in Bengal. Khagra, a neighborhood in Bahrampur is notable for its manufacture of bell-metal, brass utensils, ivory crafts and wood carvings. There are many shopping destinations in this city which has developed enough to provide its 3 lakh residents with all modern amenities. The city is famous for the sweets manohara and chhanabora, the savory snacks called khaja. The places worth visiting in Baharampur are Nashipur Palace, Hajarduari palace, Kathgola Palace, Jafarganj Cemetery, etc.
The Indian Bank was founded on 15th August,1907. Fourteen top banks were nationalized by the Indian Government on 19th July,1969, including Indian Bank. As a result of the nationalization, the branches of nationalized Indian banks in Malaysia were forbidden to continue operations as parent branches. At that time, Indian Bank had three offices. In 1973, the three branches merged to establish United Asian Bank Berhad and take over their Malaysian operations. After the nationalization, Indian Bank was left with only two foreign offices, one in Colombo and the other in Singapore. The International expansion resumed in 1978 with Indian Bank becoming a technical adviser to PT Bank Rama in Indonesia. Two years later, Indian Bank, BOB, and UBI established Indian Union Bank International Finance, in Hong Kong. The three banks had an equal share in the joint venture; the Indian Banks Chairman became the first Chairman of IUB International Finance. In May 1980, the Indian Bank also opened a foreign currency unit at its branch in Colombo. In 1981, the Indian Bank set up its first Regional Rural Bank, in Chittoor.