Adoni is located in the Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh. The municipality of Adoni also functions as the headquarter of the Adoni Mandal and the Adoni Revenue Division. Adoni has a population of more than 1.5 lakh residents, who speak in Telugu. Adoni was a fort town of the famous Vijayanagara Empire during the 15th to 16th centuries. After the decline of this glorious empire, Adoni went into the hands of Ali Adil Shah I of the Bijapur Sultanate. The Mohammedan rulers soon captured the area within a few years. The area was tossed to the hands of the Nizams and the Marathas and finally went to the British. In the late 19th century, Adoni faced a severe El Nino famine which claimed nearly one-third of its population. Adoni became a part of Andhra Pradesh in 1953. Adoni is a huge producer of cotton. The city has a thriving ginning and textile industry. Groundnut oil is another major production of Adoni. This city is also an important trading center in the state, with a large market situated in the center of the town. Adoni is often referred to as the second "Bombay" of India for its businesses and also for its cotton exports.
The Indian Bank was founded on 15th August,1907. Fourteen top banks were nationalized by the Indian Government on 19th July,1969, including Indian Bank. As a result of the nationalization, the branches of nationalized Indian banks in Malaysia were forbidden to continue operations as parent branches. At that time, Indian Bank had three offices. In 1973, the three branches merged to establish United Asian Bank Berhad and take over their Malaysian operations. After the nationalization, Indian Bank was left with only two foreign offices, one in Colombo and the other in Singapore. The International expansion resumed in 1978 with Indian Bank becoming a technical adviser to PT Bank Rama in Indonesia. Two years later, Indian Bank, BOB, and UBI established Indian Union Bank International Finance, in Hong Kong. The three banks had an equal share in the joint venture; the Indian Banks Chairman became the first Chairman of IUB International Finance. In May 1980, the Indian Bank also opened a foreign currency unit at its branch in Colombo. In 1981, the Indian Bank set up its first Regional Rural Bank, in Chittoor.