Alappuzha, popularly known as Alleppey, located in Kerala, functions as the administrative headquarters of the Alappuzha District. This city and a municipality in Kerala has an urban population of nearly two lakh people, having highest literacy rate in the state. The Centre for Science and Environment rated Alleppey as the cleanest town in India in 2016, followed by Mysuru and Panaji. This city is the oldest planned city in this area. The lighthouse on the coast of Alappuzha is the first of its kind on the Laccadive Sea coast. The town of Alappuzha is known for its picturesque canals, backwaters, beaches, and lagoons. Lord Curzon had described this city as the "Venice of the East." Malayalam is the most commonly used language in Alappuzha. Alleppey is a place of great tourist attraction in India. The Backwaters of Alleppey are the most popular tourist destination in Kerala. The cruise and houseboats in these backwaters are highly popular. Other attractions in the area are Alappuzha Beach, Pathiramanal, Ambalappuzha Sri Krishna Temple, Arthunkal, Mannarasala Temple, St. Andrews Basilica, Krishnapuram Palace, Haripad Sree Subrahmanya Swamy temple, Chettikulangara Devi Temple, Thakazhy Sree Dharma Sastha Temple, Padanilam Parabrahma Temple, Edathua Church, Mullakkal Temple, Alappuzha CSI Christ Church and Champakulam Valia Palli. The economy of this town is fuelled by tourism followed by agriculture and marine products. Although the district is industrially backward, a few traditional industries such as coir and coir products, handlooms, handicrafts, marine products and toddy tapping are quite popular in Alappuzha for a long time.
The Deutsche Bank was founded in 1870, and its first domestic branches were opened in Bremen and Hamburg in 1871 and 1872. The branch opening in London was a prime necessity for the establishment of credit for the German trade. Significant projects in the early years of the bank included the Northern Pacific Railroad in the US and the Baghdad Railway in 1888. In Germany, the bank was contributory in the financing of steel company Krupp (1879) bond offerings. In the 1890s, the new period of expansion at Deutsche Bank began. The bank associated with some giant regional banks, making its entry into leading industrial regions of Germany. Joint ventures were symptomatic of the concentration then underway in the German banking industry. Having domestic branches of its own was still something of a rarity for Deutsche Bank; in 1886 the Frankfurt branch established and the Munich branch in 1892, while further offices were opened in 1901 in Dresden and Leipzig. The formation of Deutsche Ueberseeische Bank in 1886 was gently pressurized by the foreign ministry, and three years later the stake was taken in the newly established Deutsch-Asiatische Bank. But the success of those companies showed that their existence was commercially justified.