Vellore is a city as well as the administrative headquarters of the Vellore District of Tamil Nadu. It is a part of Tondaimandalam or Tondai Nadu. Located beside River Palar, Vellore has been ruled by various rulers such as the Pallavas, the Cholas, the Vijayanagar Empire, the Rashtrakutas, the Carnatic kingdom and the British. Legend says that the region housed many Velan (or Babul) trees, which gave the name "Vellore" to the city. The city of Vellore is the stronghold of the Arcot Mudaliars population. The other largest communities in the city are the Balija Naidus and the Muslims. The city has four zones that are further sub-divided into 60 wards for civic administration. Vellore is being developed into a smart city as per PM Narendra Modis Smart Cities Mission. Vellore is the home to two of Indias top educational institutions - Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT) and Christian Medical College & Hospital. The city is a major center for medical tourism in the country as people from all over the country travel to Vellore to seek various treatments. Moreover, Vellore is the top exporter of leather products in the country. The countrys biggest explosives manufacturing company is located in Vellore. It is called the Tamil Nadu Explosives Limited (TEL). The Vellore Fort, Srilakshmi Golden Temple and Sri Jalakandeswarar Temple are few of the places worth visiting in Vellore.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.