Vadodara is more popularly known by its earlier name Baroda. It is an important city in Gujarat. Vadodara stands third among the largest cities in Gujarat, closely following Ahmedabad and Surat. It is known for its rich cultural heritage, and hence the city has earned the name of the ?Sanskrit Nagar? or the ?Kala Nagari? (City of Arts). After the Mughals were expelled by the Marathas from Gujarat, their local lieutenants known as the Gaekwad clan settled down in Vadodara. The descendants of the royal family still remain in this city in the famous Lakshmi Vilas Palace. Fertilizers, medicines, compounds, fisheries, dairy, fiber weaves and machine gears contribute to this citys economy. Crops like rice, wheat, grams, sugarcane, yellow peas and yarn are harvested in Vadodara. The city is located on the banks of the Vishwamitri river. Vadodara experiences a semi-arid climate, with dry summers and winters and humid monsoon days. Many large-scale and heavy industries can be found in this city. Units of Indian Oil Corporation (IOCL), Indian Petrochemicals Corporation Limited (IPCL), Gujarat State Fertilizers & Chemicals (GSFC), Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (or ONGC), Gujarat Alkalis and Chemicals Limited (GACL) and Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL) are to be found in and around the city. There are numerous educational institutions in Vadodara including the largest university in Gujarat - Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.