Ujjain is situated in the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. It is the administrative headquarters of the Ujjain district and is also known as ?The city of Temples.? It lies on the banks of the eastern river Kshipra. In antiquity, Ujjain was an important center of learning and power in the country. It was ruled by different dynasties and was a pre-eminent seat of power for the most powerful rulers in central India. The city is divided into 54 wards that help in its proper civic governance. Manufacturing and textile industries along with agricultural yields like soybean, wheat, jowar and bajra form the backbone of the citys economy. It has a lengthy history of being a center for learning and that has further developed in recent times through prestigious institutions like Vikram University, Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Business Management, Maharshi Panini Sanskrit University, Mahakal Institute of Technology, Ruxmaniben Deepchand Gardi Medical College, Ujjain Engineering College, etc. Ujjain is a city of temples. It holds an important place in the Hindu pilgrim trails in India. Its temples and monuments like Mahakaleshwar Jyotirlinga, Shri Mahakaleshwar Temple, Vikram Kirti Mandir, Bade Ganeshji Ka Mandir, Ram Ghat, Gadkalika Temple, Sandipani Ashram, Iskon temple are well respected and must-visit destinations for Hindu devotees.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.