Udupi city is the administrative headquarter of the Udupi District of Karnataka. Udupi is a prime tourist attraction in Karnataka. It is known for the famous Krishna Temple and the delectable Udupi cuisine which is famous all over South India. Udipi is often referred to as Lord Parashurama Kshetra and it is famous for Kanakana Kindi. It is an important center of pilgrimage and is known as Rajata Peetha and Shivalli. It is also known as the temple city. Udupi has more than 1.5 lakh residents who mostly speak in the Tulu language. The other languages spoken in the area are Konkani, Kannada, Hindi and English. Muslims living in Udupi speak in Urdu, Nawayathi and Beary. Udupi is slowly developing into a major town in Karnataka. Udupis economy is largely dependent on agriculture and fishing. The city has quite a few small-scale industries such as cashew industry and milk cooperatives. Udupi is of-late making its mark in the real estate industry as well. Udupi also has a local handloom sari industry, made of pure cotton. These lightweight sarees have art silk design and small motifs of art silk dotting. Manipal is a suburb of Udupi and hosts a number of famous educational institutions.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.