Udaipur is popularly known as the "City of Lakes." It is a major city in the Indian state of Rajasthan, which serves as the administrative headquarters of the Udaipur district. It was founded by the Rajput ruler Maharana Udai Singh II in 1559 and was the capital of the historic kingdom of Mewar in the earlier Rajputana Agency. The British annexed it into their territory as a princely state in 1818. The region became a part of Rajasthan after independence in 1947. The scenic city is surrounded by the Aravali Range, which separates it from the Thar Desert. Udaipur is a popular tourist destination. It is known for its ancient history, culture, spectacular locations and the palaces of the Rajput-era. It has a sophisticated lake system which earned it the nickname of the "City of Lakes." There are five the major lakes in and around the city. Udaipur is extremely popular for its huge historic forts, marvelous palaces, verdurous gardens, architectural temples, ancient structures, colorful festivals, traditional fairs, historical museums and galleries. Tourism primarily fuels the economy of Udaipur. However, smaller industries such as marble processing, chemical manufacturing, minerals, electronic manufacturing and the handicraft industry are also great contributors to the citys economy. A few popular tourist destinations in and around Udaipur are the renowned Jain Temple at Ranakpur, Chittorgarh, Mount Abu, Udaisagar Lake, Haldighati, Kumbhalgarh Wildlife Sanctuary, etc.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.