Tiruvottiyur is located in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is a neighborhood in North Chennai, located within the Greater Chennai Corporation. It is often spelled as Thiruvottriyur or just TVT. The city belongs to the Tondiarpet division of the state. The city is located near Parrys and Chennai Central, yet it provides comparatively cheaper residential space along with decent amenities. Hence, it has become a much-coveted and sought after residential destination.The city comprises of industrial units, trading activity and fishing hamlets. Tiruvottiyur is easily accessible road and railway. There are around 2.5 lakh residents in Tiruvottiyur. It is believed that Thiruvottiyur was inhabited even before the city of Chennai was formed. There are many ancient as well as new temples in and around the city. Tiruvottiyur is a heavily populated suburb of Chennai. It has a few industrial establishments that employ a majority of the citys population. Business is another source of income for the residents. The fishing industry is also enormous in the city. The city is well-equipped with all the modern facilities and amenities. However, entertainment options are rather scarce in this city as a lot of movie theaters have been converted into real estate properties. The city is well-known for its food and a lot of hotels, restaurants and small food joints are distributed across the place. Thiruvottiyur is considered to be an economical housing zone. It is gradually developing on par with the other localities in Chennai.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.