The city of Tirunelveli, a major city in the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu, is also known by the name Nellai. it was known as Tinnevelly during the British era. It is an ancient city which is about 2000 years old and it is a town of ancient tradition and culture. River Thamirabarani flows through this city. It is an educational hub with many schools and colleges such as Anna University Regional Campus, Tirunelveli Medical College, Tirunelveli Law College, the Tirunelveli Veterinary College and Research Institution, etc. Tirunelveli has around a million residents employed in the service-sectors pertaining to administration, agro-machinery, agricultural trading, tourism, banking, information technology and educational services. The city has beedi and cement factories, workshops for steel-based products, tobacco companies, mills for cotton textiles, spinning and weaving units, etc. There are several small-scale industries like tanneries and brick kilns. Agriculture, as well as the handloom industry, also contribute to the economic growth of the city. The city is very well-connected to the rest of the state and the country via road and railways. There are a number of historical monuments at Tirunelveli - the Swami Nellaiappar Temple being the most famous one.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.