The city of Thrissur in the Indian state of Kerala was originally known as Thiru Siva Peroor. It is more commonly known by its anglicised name Trichur. It is the fifth largest city in Kerala as well as the third largest urban agglomeration in the state. The city functions as the headquarter of the Thrissur District. The city of Thrissur has developed around a 65-acre hillock known as the Thekkinkadu Maidan which houses the famous Vadakkumnathan temple. Thrissur used to be the capital of the Kingdom of Cochin in olden days. Thrissur is known for its cultural, spiritual and religious leanings throughout history and hence often referred to as the Cultural Capital of Kerala. Thrissur a major financial and commercial hub of the state, dotted with thriving Malayali entrepreneurs. The city is known for its financial capabilities which predominantly fuels the economy. Thrissur has the headquarters and offices of almost all the banks registered under RBI, thus earning it the nickname of the "Banking town." Thrissur is also gradually emerging as the largest center for Ayurvedic drug manufacturing industry with more than 150 manufacturing units within the city. Modern retailing has also become a big business and revenue earner in Thrissur. Jewelry and textile retailing occupy a major part of Thrissurs retailing business. Famous jewelry groups like Kalyan Group, Joyalukkas, Jos Alukka & Sons, etc. have their bases in the city and provide employment opportunities to a lot of residents.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.