The Indian city of Thoothukudi is a port city as well as an industrial city in the state of Tamil Nadu. It lies on the Coromandel coast, overlooking the Bay of Bengal. It was earlier known as Tuticorin. It functions as the headquarter of the eponymous district. The Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Limited is headquartered at Tuticorin. Major educational institutions in the city include the Tamilnadu Maritime Academy, the Thoothukudi Medical College, the Fisheries College and Research Institute, the Government Polytechnic College and Anna University campus. The port in the city is one of the major and fastest growing ports in the country. The city is also considered to be one of the rising energy and industrial hubs of South India. The city is known for pearl fishing and is thus often called the "Pearl City." The city is believed to have a great historical past as it has been ruled by the various dynasties in the past including the foreign settlers like the Portuguese, the Dutch and the British. The modern urban agglomeration of Thoothukudi has a population of more than 4 lakh. Most of the people of the city work in salt pans, fishing, sea-borne trading and tourism. There are 21 islands between Thoothukudi and Rameswaram that are regarded as Indias first Marine Biosphere Reserve which hosts around 36,000 species of flora and fauna. It is a protected area and is known as the Gulf of Mannar Marine National Park. There are many festivals organized in the area that are worth attending such as Our Lady of Snows Basilica festival, Sasti, Adi Amavasai and Chittirai chariot festivals.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.