sri Ganganagar, referred to as SGNR in short, is a planned city in the Indian state of Rajasthan. It is the northern-most city of the state, located near the state border between Rajasthan and Punjab as well as the international border between India and Pakistan. It functions as the administrative headquarter of the eponymous district. The city is named after Maharaja Shri Ganga Singh Bahadur who was the Maharaja of Bikaner. Sri Ganganagar is often referred to as "the food basket of Rajasthan." SGNR is one the earliest well-planned modern cities of the country, believed to have been influenced by the town planning of Paris. The city is divided into blocks of the residential and commercial areas. The Sutlej enters Rajasthan near Sri Ganganagar. The city is situated on the Thar Desert and most of its flora and fauna survives on irrigation canals. Owing to its location, the city experiences extreme weather conditions - summer temperature can go up to 50 degrees and winters might be below zero degrees. The economy of Sri Ganganagar is based on agriculture. The desert town has been converted into a green city which supports the cultivation of wheat, mustard and cotton. Crops are guar, bajra, sugar cane and grams are also grown in this area. Farmers have recently started focusing on horticultural products too. The industries that have developed in the area are based on the agricultural produce. There are quite a few factories working on cotton ginning, pressing and spinning. Rice and sugar mills are also popular in the area.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.