The Indian city of Sirsa is also a municipal council in the eponymous district in Haryana. Sirsa lies in the westernmost region of the state, bordering Punjab and Rajasthan. The history of Sirsa dates back to the time of the Mahabharata. River Sarasvati used to flow through this area at one point in time. Sirsas ancient name was Sairishaka. Many believe that the name got modified over time and eventually became "Sirsa." Another popular belief attributes the derivation of name to the abundance of the Siris (Benth) trees in the surrounding area. Sirsa is one of Indias 250 backward districts and the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme is currently supporting the city with funds. The city has an air base of the Indian Air Force called sirsa Air Force Station.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.