siliguri is situated in the Indian state of West Bengal. It lies on the banks of the river Mahananda, at the foothills of the Himalayan mountains. The city is a gateway to the exotic hill stations in North Bengal such as Darjeeling and Kalimpong. The city was originally a small hamlet which flourished into a busy town when the British introduced railways to the region. The economy of Siliguri is mostly based on tourism. However, agricultural products of the regions in and around the city also contribute to it. Educational facilities in the city depend on institutions like the University of North Bengal, Surendra Institute of Engineering & Management, Siliguri Government College and Siliguri Institute of Technology, etc. Apart from connecting tourists to the much-coveted vacation spots in the Himalayas, Siliguri itself is an attractive tourist destination. Tourist spots worth visiting in and around the city include the ISKCON Siliguri, Coronation Bridge, Kali Mandir, Sri Sri Radha Madhavsundara, Hong Kong Market, The Science City, Chilapata Forest, Chapramari Sanctuary, Garumara Sanctuary and Sourian Nature park.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.